Arlington County recently experienced the following series of events:
- County Board member Barbara Favola won election in November to the VA state Senate, requiring her to resign her seat on the Board
- The County held a special election in March to fill the empty seat
- Arlington School Board member, Libby Garvey won that election, requiring her to resign her seat on the School Board.
- The empty School Board seat did not need to be filled by election; the four remaining School Board members chose the replacement board member.
- The School Board chose Todd McCracken to fill the empty seat through the end of 2012, at which time whoever wins the election in November will take the seat.