He has twenty years experience with climate change and energy efficiency markets, technologies and marketing programs in the private sector, non-profit sector and at EPA. He has led teams that have created, developed and implemented highly successful marketing and communication efforts, including the ENERGY STAR ® programs--arguably the most effective government environmental program in the history of the EPA. He represented the ENERGY STAR as its spokesperson at numerous conferences as well as for media coverage in print, on radio and television, even appearing on Bob Vila’s Home Again program.
He is a LEED Accredited Professional, a green building certification administered by the US Green Building Council. He was the LEED AP for the Royal Netherlands Embassy's LEED Silver certification, achieved in November 2011, guiding the sustainability team through the LEED process from beginning to culmination.
Steve created, developed, implemented and led the innovative, EPA/business partnership—Best Workplaces for CommutersSM at EPA, providing significant value to the transportation-demand-management industry across the country. He grew this program faster than any previous EPA voluntary program and engaged more than 20% of the FORTUNE 500 companies to participate in the first two years. Other work he did in the Office of Transportation and Air Quality included:
- Strategic planning for EPA’s SmartWay program
- Guiding the Office’s strategy toward voluntary climate programs
- Bringing the concept of market transformation to the office’s leadership.
In the spring of 2013, Steve joined Green Diamond as Vice President - Sustainability. He is not currently seeking consulting clients.
Along with Green Diamond, other activities he continues to pursue include:
- Founder and Chair of the Green Business RoundtableTM (see sidebar) - a DC-area network of individuals, organizations, institutions and companies working at the intersection of sustainability and business success.
- Helping PolyPrep Country Day School in Brooklyn, NY develop and carry out comprehensive energy and sustainability plans
- Arlington Public Schools Sustainability Advisory Committee - Chair
- Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee
- League of American Bicyclists League Cycling Instructor
- Carbonfund.org, a not-for-profit carbon offset provider - Senior Strategic Advisor and Chief Operating Officer.
- The CarbonNeutral Company (formerly GreenLife), a start-up, private, carbon markets company - Business Development Director
- Arlington County, VA's Arlington Initiative to Reduce Emissions (AIRE) - Director of Transportation Projects
- Green Made Simple, a web-based, energy efficiency content provider - Strategy and Business Development